The culmination of the Josephine Community Libraries Readapalooza weekend of activities wrapped up today with the Community Read Aloud. Emceed by KAJO/KLDR Jeanette Stark, eighteen children participated by reading a two-minute passage from a favorite book to a crowd of 78 audience members.
This year’s winner of the People’s Choice Award was Adelai Sanborn of Highland Elementary School, reading “Falling for Rapunzel” by Leah Wilcox. Adelai won the special prize of $500 for her school library, awarded to her school Librarian Julie Kriz. She also won an e-reader tablet from Our Foster Kids, a $20 gift certificate for Iguana Comics, and a $100 gift certificate for Nathan Tanner Dentistry.
Notable readers for the day included KAJO/KLDR owner Carl Wilson reading excerpts from Shel Silverstein’s “A Light in the Attic,” Sgt. Justin DeKrugerreading “Officer Buckle & Gloria” by Peggy Rathmann, and Robinson Orthodontics owner Kelly Robinson reading “The Witch of Blackbird Pond” by Elizabeth George Speare from the special Newbery Collection that Robinson Orthodontics donated to the library earlier this year.
“The Community Read Aloud is the sixth annual read-off at Josephine Community Libraries,” said JCLI Executive Director Kate Lasky. “Formerly called Page One, this year’s event celebrated reading, families, and community by featuring young readers from our local schools.”
This is the complete list of readers and their books:
- Winner Adelai Sanborn: “Falling for Rapunzel” by Leah Wilcox
- Lauren Delvaglio: “The Land of Stories—The Enchantress Returns” by Chris Colfer
- Danica Orr: “The Austere Academy” by Daniel Handler
- Rebekah Troutman: “Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw” by Jeff Kinney
- Jaden Mikits: “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine L’Engle
- Melissa O’Donnell: “It’s Raining Pigs & Noodles” by Jack Prelutsky
- Jackie Wittler: “Every Living Thing” by James Herriot
- Dylan Harley: “Bad Kitty Vs Uncle Murray” by Nick Bruel
- Zoe Stoltz: “Firelight” by Sophie Jordan
- Brody Tripp: “A to Z Mysteries: The New Year Dragon Dilemma” by Ron Roy
- Hannah Dougherty: “Found” by Margaret Peterson
- Owen Dwyer: “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” by Mark Twain
- Gabriel Wyant: “James and the Giant Peach” by Ronald Dahl
- Drake Lasky: “The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal” by Nicholas Flamel, Michael Scott
- Griffin Lasky: “Green Eggs & Ham” by Dr. Seuss
- Isadora Millay: “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens
- Brenna Battcock: “The Lost Hero” by Rick Riordan
Readapalooza weekend was sponsored by Grants Pass Friends of the Library, Evergreen Federal Bank, Southern Oregon Sanitation, Wheeler Toyota, Southern Oregon’s Music Leader KLDR, Welch Investment Group, Josephine County Library Foundation, Les Schwab, K & L ChemDry, Fort Vannoy Farms, Iguana Comics, and Our Foster Kids.,
For more information about Readapalooza, contact, 541-476-0571.