Outdoors and recreation
Whether you’re a nature novice or an experienced nature buff, our librarians have put together resources for anyone looking to spend more time outdoors.
Did you know that on August 25, 1916, President Woodrow Wilson signed the act creating the National Park Service, a new federal bureau in the Department of the Interior responsible for protecting the 35 national parks and monuments then managed by the department and those yet to be established?
Recommended reading and more
A Wolf Called WanderRosanne Parry
B is for BeaverMarie Smith
El planeta inhóspitoDavid Wallace-Wells
Exploring Southern Oregon’s beautiful placesJohn Kemper
Fat Girls Hiking: An Inclusive Guide to Getting Outdoors at Any Size or AbilitySummer Michaud-Skog
Foraging Oregon: finding, identifying, and preparing edible wild foods in OregonChristopher Nyerges
Fuzz: when nature breaks the lawMary Roach
Geology of OregonElizabeth L. Orr & William N. Orr
Good Night OregonDan McCarthy
La generación despiertaEyal Weintraub
Oregon’s ancient forests: a hiking guideChandra LeGue
Roadside geology of OregonMarli Bryant Miller
Shadow Chaser of the SiskiyousKim Zwemer-Margulis
The Hawk’s Way: Encounters with Fierce BeautySy Montgomery
The Northwest Nature GuideJames Luther Davis
- Condors return to the Redwoods
- In March 2022, the first five California condors returned to the Redwoods! Learn about these birds and watch the live Condor cam.
- Wildlife Images
- Wildlife Images is a center for local animal ambassadors and rehabilitation center.
- Wildlife in Southern Oregon
- Visit zoos, wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centers, and more things to do all across Southern Oregon.
Illinois Valley recreation
- Rusk Ranch Nature Center
- Visit Rusk Ranch to explore a butterfly pavilion, hummingbird garden, and learn about nature.
- Siskiyou Field Institute
- Attend nature programs for the youth, field courses, mushroom foraging classes, and more.
Explore southern Oregon
View a collection of kid-friendly waterfall adventures in Southern Oregon and the best times to visit.
View maps of all Oregon's hot springs and guides on hot spring safety.
Explore Oregon's High Desert, its trails, and learn how you can help keep Oregon's desert preserved.
View maps and descriptions of parks, museums, caves, tours, and hikes along Oregon's coast.
Find popular trails, hidden hikes, reviews by locals in Oregon and southwest Washington, and more.
Rivers and lakes
Check out Southern Oregon's rivers and lakes. Learn more about boating, rafting, and fishing.
Library of Things
The library brings you far more than just books these days. Check out a Josephine County Parks day-use pass, a telescope, a bike repair kit, and other recreational equipment for up to 10 days.Explore Library of Things
DIY Nature Pals
Get inspired by nature with Creativebug! Login with your library card number and type "Nature pals" in the search bar to view a beginner tutorial for working with wool and felt plushies.Visit creativebug
Parks and camping
- Disc Golf Guide
- Learn all about disc golf in Grants Pass. Explore nature while staying active and having fun!
- Josephine County Parks and Campgrounds
- Find information about local parks and campgrounds and even view them with an interactive map.
- Travel Grants Pass
- Check out local areas for camping of all types.
- Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Purchase a license and stay up-to-date on fishing and hunting for the state of Oregon.
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Explore fish and wildlife resources. Learn about habitats, fishing tools, and fishing safety.
- Oregon Fishing Map
- Find major fishing waters and travel routes to reach them.