Outdoors and Recreation
Whether you’re a nature novice or an experienced nature buff, our librarians have put together resources for anyone looking to spend more time outdoors.
Recommended reading and more
A Wolf Called WanderRosanne Parry
B is for BeaverMarie Smith
El planeta inhóspitoDavid Wallace-Wells
Ethnobotany of the Coos, Lower Umpqua, and Siuslaw IndiansPatricia Whereat Phillips
Exploring Southern Oregon’s beautiful placesJohn Kemper
Field guide to Oregon riversTim Palmer
Foraging Oregon: finding, identifying, and preparing edible wild foods in OregonChristopher Nyerges
Geology of OregonElizabeth L. Orr & William N. Orr
Good Night OregonDan McCarthy
La generación despiertaEyal Weintraub
Oregon’s ancient forests: a hiking guideChandra LeGue
Rare plants of southwest OregonLinda Mullens, Stacy Johnson, Stuart Osbrack, & Rachel Showalter
Shadow Chaser of the SiskiyousKim Zwemer-Margulis
Trees & shrubs of the Pacific NorthwestMark Turner & Ellen Kuhlmann
- Wildlife Images
- Wildlife Images is a center for local animal ambassadors and rehabilitation center for sick, injured, and orphaned animals.
- Siskiyou Field Institute
- Siskiyou hosts nature programs for the youth, field courses, mushroom foraging classes, birdwatching, and more!
- Wildlife in Southern Oregon
- Visit zoos, wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centers, and more things to do all across Southern Oregon.
- The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Explore fish and wildlife resources and their habitats, fishing tools, stocking maps, licenses, and how-to’s to keep you fishing safely and responsibly.
- Hunting/fishing licenses
- Stay up-to-date on fishing and hunting licenses for fish and game of all kind.
- Oregon fishing map
- Locate major fishing waters and travel routes to find them.
View a collection of kid-friendly waterfall adventures in Southern Oregon and the best times to visit.
View maps of all Oregon's hot springs and guides on hot spring safety.
Explore Oregon's High Desert, its trails, and learn how you can help keep Oregon's desert preserved.
View maps and descriptions of parks, museums, caves, tours, and hikes along Oregon's coast.
Find popular trails, hidden hikes, reviews by locals in Oregon and southwest Washington, and more.
Rivers and lakes
Check out Southern Oregon's rivers and lakes. Learn more about boating, rafting, and fishing.
Library of Things
The library brings you far more than just books these days. Check out a disc golf set, a telescope, a bike repair kit, horseshoes, and other outdoor equipment.Explore Library of Things
Creativebug virtual tutorial: Nature pals
Get inspired by nature and make your very own plushie critter with Creativebug! Login with your library card and type "Nature pals" in the search bar to view a beginner tutorial on working with wool and felt plushies.Visit creativebug
Local parks and camping
- Travel Grants Pass
- Check out local areas for camping of all kinds. View campsites
- Josephine County parks and campgrounds
- Get information on local parks and campgrounds and even view them with an interactive map. Learn more
- Disc golf guide
- Learn all about disc golf in Grants Pass. Explore nature while staying active and having fun! Learn more